BERKELEY -- Two men were charged with murder Wednesday for the fatal shooting of 34-year-old Zontee Jones in broad daylight in Berkeley in February. Jevon Calland, 21, had a motive to harm Jones and had threatened him in front of witnesses the day before Jones was shot to death, Berkeley police officer Jesse Grant said in a statement filed in court. Jones was found shot in the 1000 block of ...
OAKLAND -- BART is bringing in a retired police chief to assess its progress on transit police reforms recommended after the 2009 fatal police shooting of Oscar Grant III at the Fruitvale BART station.The audit will be conducted by Patrick Oliver, an Ohio-based criminal justice consultant and former police chief of Cleveland, Ohio. Oliver headed the outside audit of BART's police department ...
Facing intense pressure from the state's media organizations and government watchdogs, California's Assembly leaders agreed on Wednesday to preserve tough provisions of the state's open records laws -- but their counterparts in the Senate swiftly threw up a roadblock.Now, it appears local governments will be free to stall citizens' requests for information until voters ...
Alameda Hospital is exploring an affiliation with the Alameda Health System, which operates Highland, Fairmont and the John George Psychiatric hospitals.The boards of both organizations have signed a letter of intent to pursue a relationship and will have about 90 days to seek public comments and work out the details.Alameda Hospital could benefit financially because the health system would help ...
California's community colleges have published the median earnings of graduates who went straight into the workforce after earning a certificate or associate degree -- pay that varies widely by the field of study.Students interested in studying dramatic arts, for instance, can check the college system's Salary Surfer website and see the median earnings of degree holders were just ...
Winds: From the NNW at 5.0 MPH Gusting to 9.0 MPH
Time Bandits [Blu-Ray]
In making Time Bandits, co-writer/director Terry Gilliam said that he wanted to make a film that was intelligent enough for children and exciting enough for adults, a clever reversal of standard Hollywood intent that is precisely what makes it one of the greatest of childrens fan ... ...
reported attempted abduction of a 10-year-old girl in Pacifica on Sunday was a false report by the girl and a friend, Pacifica police said Wednesday. The girl had told police that while she was in the area of Beach Boulevard and Santa Rosa Avenue shortly before 6:30 p.m., a man approached her and told her she was coming with him, according to ...
SAN JOSE (KCBS) -- The San Jose Fire Department announced the appointment of 27-year-veteran Ruben Torres as the acting fire chief on Tuesday. Torres, who was the deputy chief, is taking over after former Chief William McDonald announced last week he ...
You are using Internet Explorer 6. Internet Explorer 6 is unsupported by this site and you may experience layout and functionality issues. It is recommended that you upgrade to a newer version of Internet Explorer or switch to another browser. ...
SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) -- New legislation by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors aims to stop the on-going economic war between restaurants and mobile food trucks. Part of the measures also attempts to steer public school students away from food-truck dining. The three measures strike a balance between the growing popularity of mobile food trucks and the impact they have on brick and mortar ...
SUNNYVALE (KCBS) --Internet giant Yahoo is giving some users a chance to grab email addresses that were previously unavailable. The company announced that it is resetting accounts that have been inactive for more than a year and making those usernames available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Its good news for the people looking for a username that might be used by someone else, but it ...
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Hotel Galvez, Galveston, Texas
Coming off Highway 45, about an hour's drive and 50 miles south of Houston, and as we approached Galveston my ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
San Jose SunSan Jose Sun | Latest San Jose News reports, Weather & Markets
We work strenuously to bring our readers a completely independent perspective of San Jose news. Our software programmers, editors, journalists and affiliated wire services are all dedicated to producing the best journalism possible.
This in a world where conflicts of interest pervade business empires, and political dynasties, and where a shrinking number of media proprietors are growing their interests at the expensive of diversity of media ownership. The San Jose Sun is an independent online newspaper. Our focus primarily is to produce the latest breaking stories out of San Jose.
We also cover the nation. Regional news too is a priority, as is our extensive world news coverage. For a San Jose weather report, local news, breaking international headlines, or what's happening in sports, the San Jose Sun is for you.
Our Business Centre too is active 24 hours a day, bringing you the latest market updates from key global centres like Tokyo, Sydney, London, Paris, Berlin, and New York. Foreign exchange rates are a regular feature, and we provides a vast range of general interest news covering topics like business travel, seniors, womens interest, and lifestyle stories.
A new 82 million dollar facility at San Jose International Airport that will support the personal aircraft of Google executives and other Silicon Valley executive fliers is scheduled to break ground soon.
In April, the San Jose City Council voted to grant delegated authority to the airport staff to finalize negotiations and execute a 50-year lease to Signature Flight Support. The company, which operates more than 100 locations in the U.S., Europe, South America, Africa and Asia, is a subsidiary of BBA Aviation, reports ABC News.
Signature Flight Support's development is in partnership with Blue City Holdings, a company representing the personal aircraft of the principals at Google. Google's headquarters in Mountain View is about 12 miles northwest of the airport.
The 270,000 square feet of LEED Gold-certified facilities will include an executive terminal, office space, hangars and aircraft servicing facilities.
Rosemary Barnes, a spokeswoman for the airport, said that Google aircraft will occupy five of the seven hangars. The new development will also have ramp space to accommodate large business jets, such as the Boeing Business Jet 737 and Boeing B767.
Barnes said the lease agreement is expected to be finalized this month and Signature intends to break ground on the project in the fall of 2013. ...
- Mahindra Satyam revamps sales team
- Telcos offer average salary hike of 7
- Microsoft mulled buying Nokias mobile phone unit WSJ
- Wipro wins deal worth $500m from Citigroup
- Google to open Android Nation retail stores in India
- Independent Publishing Houses in Mexico Promote Democratization of Books at Annual Fair
- With Russian Help Europe Prepares to Search for Life on Mars
- Chinese astronauts talk water use space junk protection
- Chinas first space class ends
- Wang Yaping makes water film and water ball in space
- Disappointed Kirsten says Proteas deserves choker tag after CT crash-out
- Offended Welsh cricketers walk-off from village match after speak English order
- Battle-hardened Harris confident of staying in England for complete Ashes series
- Channel Nine wants greater say in Oz team selection despite CA stance
- ECB chief says Warner row brought CA England authorities closer together
- Dalian Wanda Group to buy UK yacht maker and hotel property
- Spain urged to pursue further reforms to generate growth and jobs
- Johnny Depp opens up about vision problem
- Study explains why appetizers matter more when youre dining out with friends
- Helen Mirren new face of Marksamp Spencer
- Uttarakhand Tourism Minister expresses concern over bad weather conditions
- Tourism Protests Keep New Luxor Governor Away in Egypt
- Tourism Minister announces new campaign to promote Himalayas
- Officials delighted with changes to Nevada tourism website
- A tour of the South’s civil rights sites
- Lundbeck and several drug firms fined for pact to delay generic drugs
- Females prefer biological fitness than other traits in potential mates
- Gooey secret of naked moles rats cancer resistance discovered
- High-fructose diet could lead to liver damage
- UN iLanceti journal to hold meeting on AIDS response and global health
- UN iLanceti journal to hold meeting on AIDS response and global health
- American Medical Association Obesity is a Disease
- Letting other system doctors give allopathic drugs dangerous IMA
- Exposure to high pollution levels during pregnancy may double risk of having autistic kids
- Brazil to produce H1N1 flu vaccine
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest San Jose Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Madonna emulates screen legend Marlene Dietrich in black tux
- Community radio reporters acting as climate change communication agents in Central India
- Jackie Chan admires Bollywood welcomes Indo-Chinese Cine collaboration
- New Zealand Opera director picked to lead Seattle Opera
- Frank Langella to take on role of King Lear at Chichester Festival Theatre